Kanuku Explorer - Private - 13D/12N
The Kanuku Mountains in southwestern Guyana rise out of the grasslands and form a backdrop to the Rupununi savannahs. Their wild sculptured crowns peaking just below the level where the clouds would touch the mountain tops. The range, divided by the Rupununi River, is noted for its high diversity of bird and animal species, with approximately 80% of the known mammal species of Guyana being recorded.
With little or no human settlement on the eastern range, the area is still pristine and is perfect for the nature and adventure traveler to experience the diversity of the tropical ecosystems.
After flying to Lethem we will take an open backed jeep across the savannah to Dadanawa Ranch for some horse back riding or working cattle with the vaqueros. The real, adventure begins by boat travelling downstream on the Rupununi River, spending the first night near the Amerindian village of Sand Creek. From here the voyage enters the Kanuku Mountains- recognized by Conservation International as being one of the few remaining pristine Amazonian habitats.
We enter the Maparri River, a tributary of the Rupununi River, to reach the Maparri Wilderness Camp set on the banks of the river looking straight on to a set of falls. The area is rich in bird life and the river water is crystal clear. Early risers will have the opportunity of searching for rarely seen Tayra or even a Black Jaguar.
Our exploration continues on foot, trekking through the forest on steep trails and exploring the seemingly endless series of small waterfalls that are fed by the steep mountain slopes. From this remote and beautiful location our journey continues on to Karanambu Ranch to search for Giant River Otters and to enjoy the best inland fishing in Guyana.
Included: Airport transfers - Double or twin accommodation - Camping equipment - Meals as listed - All road and river transport - Internal flights - Local guides - VAT - Activities as described - Local bar at Karanambu & Dadanawa.
Not Included: International Airfares - Local payment - Passport and visa expenses - Government arrival and departure taxes - Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is compulsory) - All items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar and beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
Note: Passenger/s traveling on Domestic Flight are entitled to a weight allowance of 20lbs(9.1KG) Passenger/s exceeding this weight limit will incur a cost of GYD$145.00 equivalent to US$0.75cents
Day by day Itinerary:
- Day 1 - Arrive in Guyana and transfer to Georgetown. Overnight at Cara Lodge.
- Day 2 - Today enjoy a Georgetown City Tour. Overnight at Cara Lodge. (B)
- Day 3 - 09:15hrs transfer to Ogle Airstrip for a flight over the rainforest and savannah to Lethem and then by jeep across the savannah to Dadanawa Ranch. (B, L, D)
- Day 4 - Today enjoy horse back riding on the savannah and along the banks of the Rupununi River or working cattle in the coral with the vaqueros. Overnight at Dadanawa Ranch. (B, L, D)
- Day 5 - The adventure begins today as you leave the ranch by boat on the Rupununi River. Cruise through small rapids or help guide the boat through rocky outcrops as you make your way to the Wapisiana Indian community at Sand Creek. Overnight in hammock camp at Sand Creek. (B, L, D)
- Day 6 - Today continue the boat journey and travel down the Rupununi River through occasional rapids and into the Kanuku Mountains to Crabwood Creek. This area is uninhabited apart from a few traditional farmers from Sand Creek. Visit an Amerindian Farm. Tonight camp in a hammock camp on the river bank. (B, L, D)
- Day 7 - Continue down the Rupununi River with the opportunity to see Black and Spectacled Caiman, Puma, Tapir, Giant Rivers Otters and Turtles. Turn into the Maparri River, a tributary of the Rupununi River, and travel six miles to the Maparri Wilderness Camp set on the river bank overlooking a small waterfall. The area is rich in bird life and the river water is crystal clear. Overnight at Maparri Wilderness Camp. (B, L, D)
- Day 8 & 9 - Today explore forest trails that lead into the virgin Kanuku Mountains in search of Harpy Eagle, Guiaian Cock-of-the-rock, Cotingas, Three-toed Sloth, Tyra and many other exotic animals. Our exploration continues on foot, trekking through the forest on steep trails and exploring the seemingly endless series of small waterfalls that are fed by the steep mountain slopes. The river offers good fishing with light tackle with spinners or fly and heavy hand line at night for Catfish and Haimara (large predator fish) in clear water. Night boat trip to spot wildlife and see Electric Eels and Dwarf Caiman by torchlight, and the river is also home to Small and Giant River Otter. Overnight at Maparri Wilderness Camp. (B, L, D)
- Day 10 - After breakfast leave the Maparri River and re-enter the Rupununi and continue down river. Enter the North Rupununi Savannahs, pass the Amerindian community of Yurupukari and end the trip at Karanambu Ranch. Overnight at Karanambu Ranch. (B, L, D)
- Day 11 - Explore the Rupununi River in search of wild Giant River Otters, Black Caiman and Arapaima. An evening visit to Crane Pond to see hundreds of Ibis, Anhinga, Heron and Egret roosting is a highlight. Overnight at Karanambu Ranch. (B, L, D)
- Day 12 - Morning free at ranch before flight back to Georgetown. Overnight at Cara Lodge. (B)
- Day 13 - Transfer to the airport for your departing flight. (B)
We provide, through “Insure My Trip” comparison site, travel insurance policies from Access America, AIG Travel Guard, CSA Travel Protection, Global Underwriters, HTH Worldwide, International Medical Group, MEDEX, MedjetAssist, MultiNational Underwriters, On Call International, RBC Travel Protection, Seven Corners, Travel Insured, Travelex and TravelSafe. Click to compare the policies available.
Vantage World Strongly Recommends Insurance for all your Travel Programs
We provide, through TravelSafe Insurance, one of the nation's largest and most respected providers of travel insurance, a TravelSafe Custom Plan, where you decide the benefits YOU want and the levels of protection YOU desire including access to their 24-hour emergency assistance service from anywhere in the world. Click the link below the Plan Benefits table for plan details.